Rio Americano High School

The Mirada

Rio Americano High School

The Mirada

Rio Americano High School

The Mirada

The Pressure of Prom Dresses

Online dress shopping surges in popularity, but some stick to the traditional method
A sampling of Senior Prom dresses, from left to right: Delaney Orma’s, purchased online; Belen Fletcher’s, purchased secondhand online; Liv Richards’, purchased in-person; Chloe Bjorgum’s, purchased online.

Standing in the dressing room, senior Violet Knight models dresses for her mom and best friend Tiba. At the same time, senior Chloe Bjorgum is finding a ball dress from the comfort of her bed. 

Over the years, shopping for a school dance dress has been a paramount moment in a teenage girl’s life. Older generations see this ritual as a visit to a prom dress store. Younger generations are breaking this mold as online shopping rises in popularity.

A 2000 survey said that 46% of internet users had purchased something online, but only 48% of Americans were even internet users at the time. Today, more than 80% of the total population of the U.S. has bought something online.

This boom in online purchasing has added convenience to all aspects of shopping, including prom dresses. One senior, Delaney Orma, is choosing to take advantage of the ease of online shopping.

“I’ve been looking for my dress only online because there are so many more options,” Orma said. “I have access to dozens of stores and hundreds of dresses at once instead of spending hours looking at a couple of dresses in person.”

The versatility of online shopping provides much more flexibility and choice than brick-and-mortar stores do, which can provide more expression of personal style.

“The dresses you see at Haute House [a popular dress store] or the mall are pretty, but I think they feel a little overdone,” senior Chloe Bjorgum said. “Like, there’s nothing wrong with shopping there, but I would rather find something that is a little different. It’s senior ball. I want it to feel special.”

Another one of the major pros of shopping online is that there are so many more secondhand options.

Hunting for a cheap prom dress at a thrift store is very hit or miss, but using popular secondhand sites like Depop, Rent the Runway, or the RealReal gives a great selection of dresses at discounted prices.

“I found the perfect dress shopping online, but it was way too expensive and I didn’t want to pay for a dress I would only wear once,” senior Belen Fletcher said. “I was able to find the exact dress I wanted for a lot cheaper than its original price [on an online secondhand site].”

Despite all the pros of online shopping, many girls still choose to find their dream dress in person.

“I usually go with my mom and my best friend, Tiba Jumaili. We get dresses we think would look good, try them on, and rate them.” Knight said, “It’s an experience. You can hold onto the memories more than shopping online”

As well as the sentimental value, shopping in person has the benefit of professional help, and gives you the ability to make sure the dress is perfect for you before you buy it.

“I’ve tried buying dresses online in the past and I’ve never been happy with how they looked.” Senior Liv Richards said, “This year I went shopping in person and I found my dream dress, and I was able to make sure it fit me perfectly.”

Online dress shopping is definitely on the rise, but the positive aspects of in person shopping will make it a tradition for years to come. Ultimately, the most important part of the shopping experience is finding an outfit that will make you comfortable, and allow you to have the best dance experience possible.

View Comments (15)