Rio Americano High School

The Mirada

Rio Americano High School

The Mirada

Rio Americano High School

The Mirada

Rio Students Selected to Participate in Charles Mingus Festival on Feb. 15

A group of Rio students will travel to New York City for the prestigious festival
Assistant band director Mitch Evett leads the band.

On Feb. 15, Rio students Aidan Barnes, Liv Bacchi, Colin Thowtho, Salome Ospina, Miles Rothman and Zack Long are flying to New York City to participate in the Charles Mingus Festival.

Charles Mingus was a famed bass player and musical composer of the 20th century. The festival was founded in 2008 by Sue Mingus, Charles’s widow, to keep his music alive. This year three high school combos from around the world were chosen to perform, and Rio was talented enough to be selected.

Rio’s combo was put together at the beginning of the year and has rehearsed as often as possible to prepare.

“We all have really busy schedules, but we started practicing twice a week before school and sometimes on weekends,” junior Salome Ospina said.

Besides two full days of festival activities, these students will have the incredible experience of being in New York, enjoying nightly jazz clubs and a Broadway show.

This combo is entirely collaborative and self-directed from all of the students involved. Since these are all advanced students who have been in band for multiple years, they are given creative freedom over their music and performance choices. 

It is common for Rio to be chosen to participate in festivals, but that does not make this opportunity any less important and exciting for our school. Congratulations to the Rio band and good luck at the festival!

View Comments (5)