Rio Americano High School

The Mirada

Rio Americano High School

The Mirada

Rio Americano High School

The Mirada

Select Seniors Will Receive Credit Reduction to Graduate

Eligible students will be relieved of certain credit requirements
This chart presented at the Dec. 12 meeting represents the percentages of seniors short on credits at each school. Click to enlarge the image to see the full chart.

For the graduating class of 2024, freshman year was spent in quarantine. This loss of learning time due to distance learning had a profound impact on many students, with some falling short of the required 220 credits to receive their diploma. 

On Dec. 12, during the San Juan Board of Education meeting, Assistant Superintendent Kristan Schnepp motioned to temporarily change the graduation requirements from 220 to 160 credits for students who wouldn’t otherwise be eligible for graduation. 

“This relief will specifically support students who are credit-deficient and aren’t able to complete the current board-adopted graduation requirements,” Schnepp said. “Our goal for this request is to provide options for relief to keep students on a plan to graduate.”

The California state minimum for graduation credits is 130, which influenced the original credit reduction mandated in the 2021-2022 school year. The following year, it was moved up to 140 credits for qualifying students, still short of the normal 220.

Qualifying students are those who can no longer fit any more classes within their schedule and are already enrolled in credit recovery but have no chance at making the 220-credit requirement. 

These students would have to be short in one year of math credits and/or two years of world language credits in order to receive the reduction. If a student is lacking credits in a separate category, then they are ineligible and will have to earn their diploma through a separate avenue.

With the passing of this motion on Jan. 9, numerous seniors who were once thought to be unable to graduate now have the opportunity to graduate.