Rio Americano High School

The Mirada

Rio Americano High School

The Mirada

Rio Americano High School

The Mirada

New USDA Rules Affecting Rio Lunches

Photo By Katelyn Newton

School lunches and breakfasts across the country will look different next year.

The Department of Agriculture (USDA) has implemented new rules to lower salt and sugar in meals eaten by more than 30 million schoolchildren.

“The new standards build on the great progress that school meals have made already and address remaining challenges – including reducing sugar in school breakfasts,” USDA’s Food and Nutrition Service Administrator Cindy Long said in the news release.

Sneh Nair, the director of nutrition services for San Juan, said she was prepared for the update. She sits on the board of the California School Nutrition Association, and has taken a role in this change of school menu. 

“We have been discussing this rule for many many months,” Nair said. “One of the biggest opinions we’ve had was why schools only [take on the change of less added sugars]?” 

By fall of 2025 new nutrition requirements the USDA announced will limit added sugars in foods like cereal, yogurts and more. 

“At this point I only see one cereal that we will not menu even starting this week,” Nair said. “That would be the Honey Nut Scooters.” 

In 2027 sodium in breakfasts will be reduced by 10% and 15% in lunches.

“For sodium, I’d say we’re meeting the regulations already,” Nair said. “I’m on top of that. What we are currently serving met all the requirements.”

View Comments (10)