Rio Americano High School

The Mirada

Rio Americano High School

The Mirada

Rio Americano High School

The Mirada

Rio Americano ruins Christian Bros homecoming, 31-13

Raiders Reach 7-0 for First Time in Almost 30 Years
Coming+off+a+first+round+playoff+win+against+Fairfield%2C+the+Raiders+seek+revenge+against+Vista+Del+Lago+
Photo By Liam Nevin
Coming off a first round playoff win against Fairfield, the Raiders seek revenge against Vista Del Lago

The Rio Americano High School Football team is off to a hot start, advancing to 7-0 for the first time since 1994 with a crushing defeat of Christian Brothers, in the Falcons’ homecoming game.

The Raiders advanced to 7-0 (3-0 in Capital Athletic League) with the 31-13 victory.

The Raiders have beaten Burbank, Liberty Ranch, MClatchy, Woodland, El Camino, and for the first time in history, the Raiders beat Capital Christian. 

The team has been dominant even before Friday night’s big win, scoring 204 points their first six games, and only letting 54 points on defense having three shutout wins. It has been almost 30 years since the team went undefeated.

“I love the motivation and hard work our boys put into this program,” said senior defensive end Maxwell Jamison. “Everyone puts in the work and helps each other out which makes us the best team we can be.” 

On Sept. 22 Raiders played their homecoming game against El Camino, extending their undefeated record. The stat leaders such as sophomore running back Trace Kloss, senior defensive end Tobias Black and junior tight end Alex Wallace have been a big help to the team’s success.

Kloss has eight rushing touchdowns averaging 53 yards and is averaging nearly two touchdowns per game. Wallace has caught three receiving touchdowns and leads the team in tackles, with 29 this season. Black is also a big contributor to the Raiders defense, who leads the team in sacks with seven this season. 

Going undefeated in the preseason, the football team could continue that pace for the rest of the season.

“Preseason was really tough, but it paid off,” said Ryan Voss. “It was really hard in the 100-degree weather with our gear on, running and doing drills but we’re off to a strong start.” 

Last year, the Raiders went 3-7 and didn’t make the playoffs. This year the Raiders have already beaten last year’s record and are fighting to keep themselves in first place in the league.

“The season has gotten off to a great start, and is a direct correlation of the hard work each and every member of the team has continued to put in,” assistant coach John South said. “The rest of the season will be crucial and will show if we are willing to continue to put forth effort each and every day. The most important game is the next one.”

View Comments (28)