Rio Americano High School

The Mirada

Rio Americano High School

The Mirada

Rio Americano High School

The Mirada

Football Team Wraps Up Historic Season

Rio team celebrates rivalry win against El Camino.

After 12 long weeks, the Rio Americano football team’s season has finally come to an end. After beating Fairfield in the first round of playoffs, the Raiders then went against the number-one seed in Sac-Joaquin Section Division IV, Vista Del Lago.

The game ended in a devastating loss, 48-7. As the Raiders’ season finished, the coaches were proud of what the team had accomplished, giving where they were one season ago.

The team got emotional as the seniors realized this was their last high school football game, but for some it could have been their last football game in general. After an outstanding season, and a record of nine wins and three losses, the Raiders fell short of their state champion dreams.

“I felt that the season went well deserved, and my last high school football game was sad especially when it hit me that it was my last game for Rio Americano,” senior Donnovan Grenz said.

Although each player had a big part in the success the team displayed, a few players did more than enough to help the team come to impressive wins in every game.. A few of the key players that never failed to stand out on the team were Antonio Saucedo, Alex Wallace, Trace Kloss, Toby Black and Keilan Gilbert.

Saucedo was the Raiders’ star senior wide receiver who led the team in average receiving yards with 71.4 yards. He also led the team in receiving touchdowns with seven in the season.

Saucedo was one of the Raiders’ best players, and always made sure other teams knew it.

“He was just obviously the best in the way he played,” junior running back DJ Allen said. “He stood out because of his energy, and showed me football can be fun.”

The leaders on the defense were Wallace and Black. Alex Wallace was not only a tight end but also played linebacker and led the team in average tackles per game with six.

Toby black, senior defensive, led the team with sacks and had 15 during their season, keeping opposing quarterbacks under pressure.

Trace Kloss, who was a sophomore running back, led the team in total touchdowns and in rushing touchdowns with 11. He also led the team in rushing yards per game averaging 47. Every time the Raiders had the ball on the goal line, Kloss always found a way to punch it in for a score.

Finally, the leader and captain of the team is senior quarterback Keilan Gilbert, who played a key role on the Raiders’ offense. He threw for 13 touchdowns, had a 49% completion average and a 97% QB rating.

Students from Rio Americano are proud that they had a team to cheer for and that their school’s football team was one of the best in their league. Coaches from the team are excited for next year’s season, and for seasons to come.