Rio Americano High School

The Mirada

Rio Americano High School

The Mirada

Rio Americano High School

The Mirada

Varsity Boys Volleyball Scores Key Wins to Ascend in CAL

Photo By Rio Americano Athletic Boosters

The Rio boys varsity volleyball team is looking to Sac-Joaquin Section playoffs after dominating the Capital Athletic League. The Raiders are 11-0 in league with wins against teams like the El Camino Eagles and the Capital Christian Cougars. On Monday they will host Sacramento.  

The Raiders are set up to go very far during their season, with coach Gabe Gardener hoping to lead the team to sections and state championships.

The Raiders are in first place out of seven teams in the Capital Athletic League, with just one more league win than the Christian Brothers Falcons, who the Raiders beat on March 11 and will face again on April 10.

Last year the Raiders went undefeated in their league with 24 wins and only six losses in total, though they hope to beat their past record this year.

“We’re a lot better this year all around and we work really well together because most of us are really good friends,” McQuoid said.

Senior start Shane Newberry has been noticed by many for his impressive setting skills and all-around diversity on the court. Part of the Raiders varsity volleyball team since his sophomore year, he has continued to improve his skills and help lead the team to victories.

“One key player on the team would have to be Shane because his great setting keeps our hitting strong,” McQuoid said.

This Raiders team has lots of potential to be great and to have a very successful season this year.

Rio’s team not only beat Del Campo on March 18, but dominated all three sets, not allowing the Cougars to take a single one for their own. Also winning their most recent games, the Raiders beat El Camino on April 3, winning all three sets, and Bella Vista on April 4.

View Comments (3)